Wendy Broad (PhD, PGCert, MSTAT) is the founder of Mind-Body-Awareness. She is a STAT qualified teacher of the Alexander Technique and mindfulness teacher with a Postgraduate Certificate in Mindfulness-based approaches from Bangor University and an accreditation to teach Breathworks mindfulness courses. Wendy has been practising mind-body awareness techniques on a daily basis for 19 years. She is also a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) accredited practitioner with specialist training skills in stress management and building resilience in the workplace.
My personal journey
I spent 12-years working in the pharmaceutical industry as a biomedical research scientist and understand the physical and mental challenges facing people who spend time in a stressful job, travelling overseas and sitting at a desk or computer for many hours a day.
After suffering a minor head injury in a horse-riding accident in 1997, followed by chronic fatigue for a number of years, I became interested in my health and wellbeing. During this time, I explored a wide range of mind-body awareness approaches including Feldenkrais, Chi Kung, Tai Chi, Pilates, Yoga as well as the Alexander Technique. I feel that these experiences made a significant difference to my health and also inspired me to change direction to focus on physical health, instead of molecular biology approaches to wellbeing.
My learning fuelled a desire to help others facing personal challenges and in 2000, I began training to teach the Alexander Technique. While training, I learned how to let go of unhelpful patterns of muscular tension in my body and regained a sense of ease of movement. The stiffness in my joints disappeared and my vitality returned. More recently, at a very stressful time in my life, I discovered mindfulness. This brought a new dimension to my experiences, as I learned about the impact of our thoughts, feelings and emotions on our health and well-being.
I now use both the Alexander Technique and mindfulness-based approaches in my daily life and am passionate about helping others to discover new ways to live a healthy and satisfying life.
Wendy’s Qualifications, Experience and Memberships
- Accreditation to teach Breathworks Mindfulness for Health and Mindfulness for Stress courses (2018)
- Mental Health First Aid Training, CMRP, Bangor (2018)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Mindfulness-Based Approaches, Bangor University (2014-2017)
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) specialist teacher training (2015)
- Level 1 Training to Teach Mindfulness-Based Courses, CMRP, Bangor (2015)
- Training the Trainers Certificate, Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (2009)
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) practitioner accreditation, OPP (2009)
- Eutokia accreditation to teach the Alexander Technique for pregnancy and childbirth (2003)
- Alexander Technique teacher training and accreditation, Society of Teachers of the Alexander Technique (STAT), (2000-2003)
- Further and Adult Education Teachers’ Certificate, City and Guilds (1992)
- BSc (Hons) and PhD, University of Liverpool (1982-1988)
- Member of STAT (MSTAT)
- Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) register for Alexander Technique teachers