Wendy Broad (PhD, PGCert, MSTAT) is the founder of Mind-Body-Awareness. She has been practising mind-body awareness techniques on a daily basis for 20 years and is passionate about helping people to live a healthy and satisfying life.
In 2003, Wendy qualified as a teacher of the Alexander Technique with STAT and in 2017, after three years of study she gained her Postgraduate Certificate in Mindfulness-based approaches from Bangor University.
She has recently added Pilates to her offering and has successfully completed the Pilates class teaching component of her YMCA Award Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Pilates. She will finalise her training after completing her Pilates 1:1 case study in March 2020.
Wendy is also a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) accredited practitioner with specialist training skills in stress management and building resilience in the workplace.
My personal journey
I spent 12-years working in the pharmaceutical industry as a biomedical research scientist and Team Leader and 5 years in the Higher Education sector as a careers and professional development coach and trainer. I have worked in stressful environments and understand the physical and mental challenges facing people today.
After suffering a minor head injury in a horse-riding accident in 1997, followed by chronic fatigue for a number of years, I became interested in my health and wellbeing. During this time, I explored a wide range of mind-body awareness approaches including Feldenkrais, Chi Kung, Tai Chi, Pilates, Yoga as well as the Alexander Technique. I feel that these experiences made a significant difference to my health and also inspired me to change direction to focus on physical health, instead of molecular biology approaches to wellbeing.
My learning fuelled a desire to help others facing personal challenges and in 2000, I began training to teach the Alexander Technique. While training, I learned how to let go of unhelpful patterns of muscular tension in my body and regained a sense of ease of movement. The stiffness in my joints disappeared and my vitality returned. At a very stressful time in my life, I discovered mindfulness. This brought a new dimension to my experiences, as I learned about the impact of our thoughts, feelings and emotions on our health and well-being.
Through the mindfulness teacher training I gradually developed much greater body awareness and decided that it was time to rebalance the ageing process and return to Pilates classes to improve my flexibility and strength. I have been attending Pilates classes on and off for 20 years and found that Modern Pilates really helped me to improve my core strength, flexibility and balance for functional movement. I liked the fact that this approach was developed with physiotherapists to provide a foundation level of Pilates which is accessible for all and involves everyday movements as well as exercises lying down. I felt that Modern Pilates would complement my Alexander Technique teaching and decided to take the Level 3 Pilates Teacher Training course. I will complete the teacher training programme in March 2020.
I use Pilates, Alexander Technique and mindfulness-based approaches in my daily life and am passionate about helping others to help themselves to restore ease and balance in their life in both mind and body. I am insured with Holistic Insurance Services to teach Pilates, Alexander Technique and Mindfulness.
Wendy’s Qualifications, Experience and Memberships
- YMCA Awards Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Pilates (January 2020)
- Programming a Pilates Teaching Session- PASSED
- Delivering a Pilates Teaching Session- PASSED
- YMCA Award Level 3 Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise and Health (2019)
- YMCA Award Level 2 Principles of Exercise, Fitness and Health (2019)
- Accreditation to teach Breathworks Mindfulness courses (2018)
- Mental Health First Aid Training, CMRP, Bangor (2018)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Mindfulness-Based Approaches, Bangor University (2014-2017)
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) specialist teacher training (2015)
- Level 1 Training to Teach Mindfulness-Based Courses, CMRP, Bangor (2015)
- Training the Trainers Certificate, Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (2009)
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) practitioner accreditation, OPP (2009)
- Alexander Technique teacher training and accreditation, Society of Teachers of the Alexander Technique (STAT), (2000-2003)
- Further and Adult Education Teachers’ Certificate, City and Guilds (1992)
- BSc (Hons) and PhD, University of Liverpool (1982-1988)
- Member of STAT (MSTAT)